Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Hong Kong Trip 2012

What a great adventure I am starting.

July 16, 2012
Needed to leave for airport in Orlando at 6:45.  Ride did not come so called back-up.
Sailed through check-in, security not bad, so all checked in early for my 9:15 flight to LAX.
So tired from no sleep, so slept almost all of the 4 1/2 hours on AA.
Upon arrival in LA, told to walk to Tom Bradley Intern. Terminal.  No problem. Once inside, had to walk miles and then get on a bus to international terminal.  Befriended a nice couple, who offered snacks and helped carry my bag onto the bus.
Boarded AA/Cathay Pacific 12:55 CA time and had very nice economy seat.  Next 14 hours were spent sleeping for an hour or two at a time, eating two very nice meals (lunch and dinner - a little disconcerting), reading some and sleeping, watching TV and sleeping.  Occasionally walking up and down the isle, but no back or leg pain.  Bananas?  Neck pillow?  Comfortable seats?

Arrived in Hong Kong the next day, July 17, at 7:30 pm.  They are 12 hours ahead of east coast so that conversion is easy.  The money and temperature are another matter.  Ralph, the training program director, met me at the airport and we went to a good restaurant there (Crystal Jade).   They have the best "steamed pork dumplings" (Xiao Long Bao).  We also got a dish with shrimp dumplings and noodles in broth.  Way too much food, but very good.  He dropped me at the Harbor Plaza 8 Degrees Hotel, Kowloon, and I settled in, got a shower and went to bed in the softest, most inviting bed.

Wed. 7/18/12  After a good night's sleep, I was up at 6:30 to a big thunder and lightening storm.  Did I bring it with me?  Had a delicious egg and coffee in my room, watched CNN with an international twist, and was ready to go at 8:00.  Ralph picked me up, and also Elizabeth, the teacher who finishes with the class today.   I realized we had met at various conferences and she was very helpful catching me up on what she has done with the class.  I sat in on her class for awhile this morning, checked that the materials I need are there, and got some of the paperwork I didn't have.

Then Ralph and I headed out for sight-seeing.   We picked up his 9 year old son, Ranen, who he jokingly called the tour guide.  In fact, I learned more today from him than I ever could from commercial guides..
We first went to a very exclusive restaurant at Tsui Hang Village and had Steamed Rice Rolls stuffed with Barbecued Pork, Steamed Bean Curd Sheet Rolls with Pork and Prawns in Supreme Broth, Steamed Pork Dumplings stuffed with Whole Shrimp, Deep fried Mashed Shrimp and Cuttlefish Balls, Pan Fried Pancake with Chives and dried Ham, Cucumber with Garlic and Vinegar, and Steamed Layered Cake with Salted Egg Yolks.  Each only had three pieces so we got a taste.  Very good!!
Deep fried Mashed Shrimp and Cuttlefish Balls

Chihuly?   Beautiful chandeliers













We then went to the Museum of History (natural and political) and took a very quick tour through all the peoples and occupations of China.  I had read some of it, got more at the museum and happened to sit next to one of the students at dinner tonight, who was a journalist and went over all the stories again with me.  I almost have it, I think.
Heading to the Museum of History

Ranen and I in front of early man exhibit

Story of Bun Mountains (you can tap on to enlarge)

Replica of Bun Mountains

Ralph went for the car and Ranen and I saw the movie and visited the gift shop - very quickly.  I may need to go back.





































Ralph dropped Ranen and me near the Star Ferry and said he would meet us at Central.  I was just along for the ride and followed trying to figure out what was next.  Ranen walked and talked very fast, so I tried to keep up.  We rode the famous Star Ferry across Victoria Harbor from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island, met up with Dad and then went UP steep hills to where they live. 


Entrance to "Star" Ferry

Taking the "Star" Ferry across Victoria Harbor

We could have taken a junk, instead.

Up steep roads to where they live in one of these
high-rise apartment buildings on Hong Kong Island.
























































We picked up his daughter, Gia - 4 1/2 and his wife's sister.  They lived high up, but then we headed to The Peak.  Unbelievable windy road up to the top of this mountain where the view on all sides was fantastic.  



There were shops at the Peak, and, of course, a
Starbucks.











There was a display of children's art.  They had made buildings,
the Star Ferry and other transportation vehicles.

View of Hong Kong Island and Kowloon from the Peak.

View to the other direction.  Hazy but no storm yet.

What a COOL place to have a preschool!

Drive down.  What a beautiful clear day.

Residential buildings


Ranen was an old man in a boy's body and took care that I was safe crossing streets, was an unending wealth of knowledge, insisted on taking pictures for me and of me, and was just a joy to be around.  I told him he should start his own tour guide business.  We dropped him at swimming class and went back to school at 5:30, as they finished their day.










































































Elizabeth finished up with the students, I set up Sensorial, and we all, except Ralph, went to Hong Kong University for a traditional group meal.  All the students, Elizabeth and I sat at a round table and were served course after course on a lazy susan.  I didn't get the menu so let me try to remember and will update when I see them.   Vegetables in broth, Chicken, Prawns and vegetables, Chinese mushrooms and abalone, steamed whole fish to take some of, rice and vegetables, little cakes for dessert and a dessert soup of Chinese fungus, and nuts in a sweet broth.  Again, many more pictures and a wonderful time. 



Almost the whole class, Elizabeth and I after dinner


 Florita got us a cab back to the hotel.  Tomorrow I will get Elizabeth's room, as she is leaving and I now have access to a phone that people back home can call me on at no charge.  852-5308-3838 (only while I am here).  I also have unlimited email and text when I am near wi-fi and I am set up to Skype, if any of you have it.  Will try it with Mom in the morning. 



Now, very late but wanted to keep up with this, since much will happen each day. Tomorrow is another day of sight-seeing and then I have to get to work.  I am loving it so much because I have people who are taking me places, giving me all kinds of helpful information, and helping me meet people who are locals.  

No comments:

Post a Comment